Experience the fascinating world of carnivorous plants, carefully curated to add a touch of appeal and natural beauty to your garden or interior space.
Venus Flytrap (Dionaea Muscipula)
Venus Flytrap is a legendary carnivorous plant, a true miracle of nature. Native to the wetlands of North and South Carolina, is fascinated by its intricate traps adorned with delicate but deadly "teeth”. When triggered by unsuspecting prey, it swiftly closes its trap, securing its meal and showcasing the astonishing speed and precision of this botanical predator. Plus, it deters insects from afar, luring them closer with its vibrant green foliage and alluring nectar. Observe nature's amazing mechanism as the flytrap devours its prey, making it a fascinating addition to any plant collection.
Cape Sundew (Drosera Capensis):
Native to the coastal regions of South Africa, Drosera Capensis is a carnivorous plant that employs a unique strategy to catch its prey. Adorned with delicate hair-like tentacles, each tipped with a sticky substance, this extraordinary plant patiently waits for unsuspecting insects to land on its glistening leaves. Once entangled, the sundew secretes enzymes that dissolve and extract vital nutrients from its captives. Marvel at the intricate beauty of its dew-covered tentacles swaying in the breeze, luring insects, and adding a touch of charm to any garden or interior space.
What You Need To Know:
Venus Flytraps (Dionaea Muscipula)
- Stratification: Venus flytrap seeds require a period of cold stratification to break dormancy. Stratify flytrap seeds by placing them on damp paper towels or sphagnum moss in a plastic bag. Store the bag in the refrigerator at around 4°C (39°F) for about 4-6 weeks.
- Temperature: After stratification, provide temperatures between 20°C to 30°C (68°F to 86°F) for germination. A warm, humid environment with good air circulation is ideal.
- Soil: Venus Flytraps require well-draining, acidic soil. A typical mix is a 1:1 ratio of sphagnum moss and perlite. Plant the seeds on the surface of the soil mix.
- Humidity: Maintain high humidity around the seeds. Cover the container with a clear plastic lid or plastic wrap to create a mini greenhouse effect. Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Use distilled or rainwater to prevent mineral buildup.
- Light: Initially, provide indirect sunlight or fluorescent grow lights for about 12-16 hours per day. As the seedlings develop, gradually introduce more direct sunlight, but avoid strong midday sun. Venus Flytraps require a minimum of 4-6 hours of direct sunlight per day for healthy growth.
- Germination: Germination can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months. Patience is essential, as Venus Flytraps are slow growers.
- Time to Maturity: Venus Flytraps can take several years to mature and develop their signature trapping leaves. Be prepared for a long-term commitment.
Cape Sundews (Drosera Capensis)
- Temperature: Unlike Venus Flytraps, Cape Sundew seeds typically do not require stratification. They germinate well at temperatures around 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F).
- Soli: Cape Sundew seeds do not require stratification. Sow the seeds on the surface of a well-draining planting mix consisting of 1:1 sphagnum peat moss and perlite.
- Humidity: Maintain consistently high humidity around the seeds. Cover the container with a clear plastic lid or plastic wrap to create a mini greenhouse effect. Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Use distilled or rainwater to prevent mineral buildup.
- Light: Provide bright, indirect sunlight or use fluorescent grow lights. As the seedlings grow, gradually increase their exposure to direct sunlight.
- Germination: Cape Sundew seeds typically germinate within a few weeks.
- Time to Maturity: Cape Sundews are relatively fast growers compared to Venus Flytraps. They can produce mature leaves in several months to a year.
- 1* Venus Flytrap Seed Pack(10+ Seeds)
- 1* Cape Sundew Seed Pack(10+ Seeds)
Connection to Nature
We want children and adults to enjoy the closeness of nature and find a relaxing refuge in their connection to Mother Earth. With our Seeds and Easy Grow Kits everyone can be a gardening enthusiast.